Today, February 3 at 9 AM, saw the first gathering of a Gregorian Chant Choir for homeschoolers. We had about 15 young people come out. Yours truly was the director. Using elements of the Ward Method of teaching music, we began with how to produce a proper tone, and the beginnings of solfege. Then we learnt the entrance antiphon “Lord grant that they may have” from the collection By Flowing Waters. We also learnt the first part of the antiphon Ave verum Corpus. I was very pleased with how things went. There as some very nice voices among these young people. My initial hope is that this choir will be able to sing the Mass at funerals here at St Joseph’s and, on occasion, sing at other Masses. I think there are few more beautiful sounds than a well-formed young people’s choir, especially singing Gregorian chant. Once we have progressed a bit, I will include an audio file of how we sound. Stay tuned.
Issuesabstinence abuse of minors Ascension baptism Benedict XVI catechesis Catholic Catholic heritage Catholic schools Communion in the hand communion on the tongue Confession consecration contrition creed devil discipleship drums Eschaton Eucharist evangelisation Extraordinary Form faith family Final Judgement generosity God's mercy God's Plan of Salvation grace Graduale Romanum Gregorain chant Gregorian Chant harrowing of hell Holy Communion Holy Spirit homily Immaculate Conception John Paul II John the Baptist kerygma Last Things lent liturgy marriage Mass Musicam sacram natural law new evangelization Orlando di Lasso Palestrina parables paschal mystery Pius X polyphony prayer real presence repentance resurrection of the dead sacraments sacred music Sacrifice on the Cross sacrosanctam concillium schola cantorum service sex education sexual morality state of grace the message Tra le sollecitudini Tranfiguration Vancouver Vatican II Voluntati obsequens William Byrd worthless slaves
- Tony Oostendarp on A Homily for Children Receiving First Holy Communion
- Fr. Lourdu Showry Madanu on A Homily for Children Receiving First Holy Communion
- Rene on A Homily for Children Receiving First Holy Communion
- L. T. S. Martin on Sung Latin Mass on the eve of All Saints (All Hallows Eve) @ St Jude’s Parish and Shrine, Vancouver at 7:30PM
- Sung Latin Mass on the eve of All Saints (All Hallows Eve) @ St Jude’s Parish and Shrine, Vancouver at 7:30PM | A Son of Saint Philip on 100 Years of Church Teaching on Gregorian Chant